I have finished my IQ buddy's block! This simplified or mock cathedral window block is super easy to make, and what a pretty thing it is! I supposed one could use white triangles over squares of colored fabrics, but I think I like the reverse much better. An interesting thing about this method: although I should have ended up with a 12 1/2" block, it was more like 12 1/4". I guess that the quilting/sewing on the turned back folded side of the triangles drew up the fabric a little. So, just in case it was needed, I added a 1" strip of white around the whole thing. Another member of the IQ support group is assembling the blocks, and I didn't want her to be short changed with my smallish block.
Anyway, I told you that I had Lucinda up on the frame. Here she is, ready to go. I decided to fill in the white spaces in the upper border with echoes of the designs. I didn't like that as much as I hoped I would, but I'm stuck with it now, because I have neither the time nor the inclination to rip it all out.
Here are a few of the blocks. I don't know if the quilting is visible or not. But, you can magnify these pictures significantly by clicking on them, though, and that should help you to see the quilting. I'm using a thin thread that I haven't used before. After this, I'm going to stick to cotton thread. It quilts up better. But I figure it's ok to experiment on my own quilts.
In this one, the circle of feathers is more visible. The flying geese blocks were quilted with continuous curves. If you're in southern Virginia during the month of March, come to the guild show at the South Hill, VA library and take a look at all the pretty quilts!
This is the last row of the quilt before the bottom border. I have done one star on it but had to stop for dinner . Tomorrow I'll finish it and Sunday I'll bind it -- I hope. The show starts Tuesday.
A very good day, full of progress.